11.07.2011

We killed it n grilled it...

What do you get when you mix a sheep and a goat? A Peliwe, which is one of these:

The story goes like this..There are A LOT of birthdays in November in my family here. So we decided to celebrate them all at once, by killing a Peliwe and grilling it in the house. I have to admit that, at first, the thought intrigued me and grossed me out at the same time. I've never been apart of the death process that has to happen to turn an animal into dinner. But, I kinda wanted to see.

If you want to see it, there is a video, (not recommended if you are squeamish). I"ll put it up in  a few days. I need to shorten it. But afterward, this was mr. peliwe...



So shortly after killing the Peliwe, my host family went to work dissecting and pulling out the meat while throwing away the fat and unusable parts. It seemed like a simple anatomy lesson, only with the promise of a full belly afterward!


Later, when we had a pail full of parts, my host mom got to chopping, spicing, seasoning, and tenderizing. Then, the peliwe meat sat and marinated for more than 8 hours. Around 9pm that night the party began and so did the grilling.

We don't actually have a grill...

mmmm..Peliwe!


AND THEN we danced (or more like performed) like we do after every, single, villanueva family gathering! and that was the end of the birthday week =)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers